Update from President Ruth V. Watkins
Early this morning, we were alerted to a report of a police investigation into a sexual assault on campus.
This is what we know so far and what we are doing:
- A sexual assault was reported to campus police just after midnight on March 26.
- The assault was reported to have happened in the area west of the Marriott Library on the U campus around 10:30 p.m., March 25.
- Police are looking at all leads in the case and working with the victim to further the investigation.
- While we plan to update the campus community in the coming days, we will also work diligently to protect the privacy of the person who reported the assault and ensure that person has access to appropriate support and resources.
- University police have increased patrols around campus and additional resources for courtesy escorts are being made available.
- I urge all members of our campus community to be active bystanders and to report suspicious behavior to campus police at 801-585-2677.
This morning's alert is part of our commitment to communicate when potential incidents occur that may have far-reaching impacts. Typically, university police attempt to confirm crimes and gather helpful evidence before alerting the entire community. However, sometimes that is not possible in a short time frame and when the nature of the reported crime is serious enough to warrant putting the campus on alert before an incident can be verified. That is why you received this message today.
Safety remains a top priority on our campus. We have invested heavily in safety measures over the past several years, including installing additional lighting, security cameras, building security, increasing resources for campus police, and investing in additional staff in the Victim-Survivor Advocates Office, the Office of the Dean of Students, and the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
We are committed to providing resources and education to combat interpersonal violence and fostering a safe and supportive campus community. Below is a list of some campus offices that are available to our community.
U of U ALERT: Investigation update (8:33 a.m.)
Police investigation into an alleged sexual assault is ongoing. Updates will be provided via email as more information becomes available. Police have increased patrols around campus and additional courtesy escort resources are being made available. Please be alert and report suspicious behavior to U police: 801-585-2677.
U of U ALERT: Police investigating reported sexual assault on campus
University Police responded to a report of a sexual assault just after midnight on March 26. The incident was reported to have occurred in the area west of the Marriott Library on the U campus around 10:30 p.m., March 25, 2019. No details of the alleged assailant are available at this time, and the police investigation is ongoing. If you have any helpful information, please contact University of Utah Campus Police by calling 801-585-2677 (801-585-COPS).
In the immediacy of this event: If you wish to use a courtesy escort anywhere on campus, 24-hours-a-day, call 801-585-2677 to arrange service. Be alert of your surroundings and immediately report any suspicious activities. More information will be shared as it becomes available.