All campus buildings have been cleared for occupancy. Note: many buildings may be closed related to COVID-19 because of staffing and cleaning, but not because of damage related to the earthquake. The University Campus Store remains closed temporarily due to a water issue.
All campus business cleared for occupancy
Campus Facilities and Infrastructure Status
- Teams have completed assessments of all campus buildings. No injuries have been reported and all campus utilities (power, water and gas) are functioning normally.
- While some buildings on campus have external cosmetic damage the only campus building closed to occupancy until further notice is the Browning Building (WBB, building 11). The campus store is closed temporarily due to a water issue.
- Additional information about University of Utah Health building closures and patient care is available at https://healthcare.utah.edu/publicaffairs/news/2020/03/earthquake-statement.php.
- Student and family housing units have been cleared for occupancy.
- All online classes will resume tomorrow.
- Further updates, if necessary, will be posted here.
Update from University of Utah Seismology Stations
- There is no currently accepted scientific method for predicting the precise time, location and magnitude of future earthquakes
- Based on past earthquake sequences around the world there is a small, about one in 20, chance of an earthquake larger than a magnitude 5.7 in the Salt Lake Valley area during the next week.
- Although it is possible a larger earthquake in this area could be in the magnitude range of 7.0 to 7.5, the U.S. Geological Survey estimates that the chance of an earthquake of this size about one in 300. Earthquakes of magnitude larger than 7.5 are unlikely to occur in Utah. A magnitude 9.0 earthquake is not possible in Utah.
Full USSS media briefing available on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQgDkOMudGk&feature=youtu.be
Student Housing Update
All undergraduate on-campus student housing buildings have been assessed by teams and are structurally sound. Off-site properties are being assessed. Dining services remain open in Lassonde Studios and the Peterson Heritage Center
U of U ALERT: 5.7 EQ in Magna UT area.
Facilities Management crews are organizing rapid damage assessments.
U of U ALERT: Earthquake. Drop, Cover and Hold On. Prep for aftershocks.